Wednesday, February 23, 2011

“A perspective on roles of Indian Women”

“A perspective on roles of Indian Women”

I have never blogged before and this is my first experience with it. So please bear with me.

This is a beautiful topic to start my blogging experience with.

I was thinking of which aspect would I like to write about and then it occurred to me. I want to write about my BEST GIFT and that is of being a WIFE!!!!!

I feel blessed to be a wife, a partner, a soul mate, better half to my DH.

Although I believe that every role that a woman plays is important and unique. Each role defines her character and her personality in different ways. Being a daughter gives her the compassion, loving, caring nature that only daughters can give. I see my niece showering love to everyone around her. She will just come and hug out of the blue and tell you she loves you. Oh! How much happiness that gives!

After the daughter role comes the role of being a sister. Here, the woman learns about being a best friend, a confidante (to keep secrets). Here she learns how to share and be a good friend to her sibling.

After this, she becomes a wife. According to me, this is the most important of all. I had heard this story sometime back and would like to put it here in short justifying why I feel this is the most important role.

For a few seconds, do as I tell you. Join both your hands facing each other as if saying namaste. Bend your fingers inwards towards your palm and keep your hands closed together. Try to open your first fingers; you can do this easily without moving any other fingers in your hands. This finger is for parents. You will have to live without them sometime in your life.
Try to pull your second (tall) finger apart. This is for siblings, you will have to live without them at sometime in your life.
Try to do the same with the 3rd or ring finger. You will find it very difficult next to impossible to do this. This finger stands for spouse. It is a life-long relationship which will last forever and hence I consider this most important.
Try to do the same with little finger, which are your kids. You can easily separate. This indicates kids will grow up and go away to have their own lives.
And try the same with your thumbs, which are your relatives and friends. Without having to say anything, you guessed it. You can easily separate it.

I believe that being a wife is a very important and blessed role in a woman’s life. But many women don’t take it seriously. They sit and look for everything not right in their husband, in-laws, in their life etc.
When a woman remains happy, the whole house is happy.
It is her attitude that everything depends on.
I remember my DH telling me this and I fought with him saying you are also equally responsible for the peace in the home. But then from my own experiences I realized that if I don’t make something a big deal, he also wont. If I don’t have this urge to answer back and argue for the sake of ego, we didn’t have any fights.
I am not saying be a doormat. NOT AT ALL!
Have your opinions. Be a strong lady with strong opinions. But at the end of the day, leave it to the husband to make the right decisions for the family.
I always give opinions to my DH and he makes the final decision. Sometimes decisions are made in my favor, sometimes not.
The reason is, I have heard that when husband and wife both want to make decisions and both want to be the HEAD, then the home quickly becomes a two-headed monster.
I truly believe, like my signature says that, “HARMONY AT HOME IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHO IS RIGHT.”

A husband-wife relationship is life long. If women would have a little more patience and a positive attitude to deal with this relationship maturely, life surely becomes enjoyable!!

I also respect the other roles played by a woman like being a daughter-in-law, rather a daughter-in-love like I am with my in-laws. This relationship teaches a lady to behave and act maturely. They are not your real parents and so are bound to judge your actions and intentions. Here she learns how to say, what to say and when to say it.
As in most cases, “IT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAY, BUT HOW YOU SAY IT” that applies best to this relationship.

And then comes being a MOTHER! This is a blessing from GOD! I am yet to experience this, but I can talk about my mom and sister who have already experienced this.  Here the lady learns showering infinite love, care, pampering, nurturing at the same time inculcating her values into the next generation. This role is crucial as well since here she has a chance to impact the next generation by passing down what she knows and what she has learnt. At the same time, she encourages the kids to perform their best.

Of course, then she becomes a mother-in-law once her kids get married. Here she learns how to love the daughter-in-law or son-in-law as her own kid and looking for the best in them.

And then best of all, the grandmother! Here she can give her best to her grandkids without the tension of having to provide for them. She has more time but less energy compared to before. But gives her values to her grandkids with the best she has in her!

I am getting emotional here, and feel like thanking GOD for making me a woman who can live such diverse roles! Shame to those who look down on daughters or women!

Happy Women's Day to all!!!

Tagging my fellow bloggers below. I have informed them and hope they join!
Divya Iyer
Priya
Kalpana Behara

No comments:

Post a Comment